As Cowart Group Architects continues to recap our past 25 years we would like to recognize all the exceptional things that come along with volunteering for great causes. One of which is Habitat for Humanity (http://www.habitat.org).
We were first asked to be involved with Habitat back in 1993 with 3 residences that were in the path of Truman Parkway in the 600 Block of East 36th Street, Midtown Savannah.
The three houses were being donated to Habitat. The City had also donated three vacant lots in the adjacent neighborhood where Habitat for Humanity was going to move the houses. We were asked to design the new foundation and a renovated plan to update each. The drawing below is one of the Shotgun Houses.
Most recently we were asked by Dr. Blake Caldwell and Virginia Brown to help with a special project that was for a local organic farm where Habitat volunteers are involved. The Skidaway Farms Community Pavilion is shown below.
Community Pro Bono Design is an essential part of the culture of Cowart Group. It represents our leadership in the field of Architecture.
It pays huge dividends for both the community and the firm; instilling pride and pleasure in all of the Cowart team.
We would like to extend an invitation to you to join Habitat for Humanity Savannah.
An Invitation to Join Habitat for Humanity Savannah
Skidaway Farms is very lucky to have many of its Farmers also be active volunteers in our region’s affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International. Habitat’s local Executive Director, Virginia Brown, a Landings resident and Skidaway Farmer, reports that many of her construction crew are Landings residents as well. Next month, the Farm will be the grateful recipient of the skills these handy folks have when they begin the work to construct our Skidaway Audubon Pavilion. This open-sided structure will be built in the middle of the Farm …right in Valley Crest Square.
Habitat for Humanity Savannah is always welcoming new volunteers to its ranks. So the Farm is encouraging those of you who have been thinking about giving some time to this altruistic organization to start by volunteering for this project at Skidaway Farms. Being so close to home it’s a perfect way to get to know how Habitat’s crews work and what you can learn from this incredible group of volunteers. Contact Habitat for Humanity Savannah at their website (www.habitatsavannah.org), via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 912-353-8122 for more information.
Given the cost of building supplies for the pavilion, the Farm is looking for financial support to get this job done in a timely manner. Farm Chair, Blake Caldwell and Event Coordinator, Cathy Adler has already launched the fundraising drive which they hope to conclude by December 31st. All contributions will be permanently noted by donor and category on a plaque within the pavilion itself. Tax exempt pledges can be made by check payable to Skidaway Audubon, 600 Landings Way South, Savannah, GA 31411. Please put “Skidaway Audubon Pavilion” in the memo line.
If you would like to find out more about supporting this incredible project, contact Cathy Adler at email@example.com or Blake at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cowart Group Pro Bono Work
We are proud to give our talents to needy and worthy causes. We find this benefits all of us as well as our community.
- Skidaway Farms Pavilion, Habitat for Humanity, 2012
- St. James School Signage and Fencing, 2012
- Cyuler – Brownville, HFC, USGBC, Habitat House, 2012
- St. James School and Church – Master Plan 2010
- Park Place Outreach – Home for Runaway Teens 2008
- Savannah Parent & Child Development & Design for 2 Children’s Playhouses 2001
- Hope House, Inc. – Transitional Housing Study 2001
- Maggie B. Ford Daycare Ctr. – New Facility Study 2001
- St. James School Library Addition 2000
- Faith on the Move Ministries – Fire Damage Renovation 1999
- Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church – Life Safety & ADA Study 1998
- Bethesda Home for Boys – Dormitory Renovation & Master Planning for Future expansion 1997
- Beaufort Family Resources-Spring Island home for Girls 1997
- Skidaway Is. Youth Athletic Assn. – Athletic Field Comfort Station/Storage 1997
- Bluffton Children’s Center – Renovation of Community Daycare Facility 1996
- St. Anthony’s Catholic Church – Handicap Ramp 1996
- Whitesville Community Association – Community Center Conceptual Study 1996
- Skidaway Island Village Library Foundation – New Community Library 1995
- St. Vincent’s Academy – New Elevator Shaft & Office Space Design 1994
- St. James Catholic Church – New Rectory 1993
- Habitat for Humanity – Construction Documents for 3 Houses 1992
- Parent & Child Development – Youth Estates New Cottage 1990